HOW I BECAME A SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER
From Bookseller to Social Media Storyteller
“You have to do what you dream of doing even while you’re afraid.” -Arianna Huffington
Two years ago, I began a journey with Digital Mums that would lead me down a rabbit hole to discover a wondrous and life changing place. They were offering training in social media management with the catchy slogan of #WorkThatWorks. I was immediately captivated!
Having children was a real wake up call for me. It ignited my ambition and made me want to work hard towards achieving that mystical work/life balance that everyone is seeking. And so, whilst on maternity leave with my second child, and being an all-or-nothing kind of a person, I signed myself up to begin my training the week before we were due to move house and a month before I went back to work.
Thus followed an intense 12 months of experiential learning, working and the juggling that comes with being a mum of 2. But I was determined that this was the path for me and spurred on by my amazing peer group I completed the course in November 2018 and that same month I set up my business Social Wonderland and began working with my first client. I discovered an online community that was both inspiring, supportive and incredibly generous in sharing their experiences and I grew to see social media as a magical place of possibility and opportunity.
Having spent more than 10 years working in the bookselling and publishing world I love a good story and I see social media as an opportunity for businesses to tell their story online. I found that the skills that I had honed in my previous employment translated perfectly to my new career:
- COMMUNICATION | I’m a naturally sociable person who loves to chat. Communicating online/offline, there’s no difference to me!
- I KNOW CUSTOMERS | I know how to build and maintain positive relationships with customers. I know how customers like to be approached and I NEVER advocate a hard sell.
- I LOVE CONNECTING PEOPLE | And collaborations can be incredibly valuable on social media.
- LISTENING | There’s lots of people who will tell you what’s best for you and your business, but if they don’t listen to your needs, how will they know how to help?
- STORYTELLING | I love a good story and I see social media as an opportunity for businesses to tell their story online. In my role I bring those stories to light and translate them for social media platforms.
Social media has opened doors for me. I have connected with some amazing people, set up my own business and haven’t looked back since! Social media can also offer endless opportunities for you and your business. It throws traditional marketing out the window and encourages a more personable approach. In my role I bring those stories to light and translate them for social media platforms. I’m passionate about helping businesses to utilise this amazing wonderland, to find their voice and tell their story!